It’s easy to grow fearful in times of uncertainty. It’s easy to lose hope as we suffer through lengthy hardships. Events such as the COVID-19 pandemic remind us how fragile our lives really are.
Like any trial, we often cannot see an end in sight and this one is no exception. When we are staying at home, social-distancing, viewing reports of daily escalating numbers, suffering through mandatory business closures and potential loss of livelihood, we worry we won’t manage.
My mum used to say of trials, “This too shall pass.” And it will. When it does, things won’t be the same. We will have a new framework out of which to operate. I imagine we will have a more thankful mindset, a greater appreciation for others as we joyfully reconnect and fully embrace our renewed freedom. Trials arrive unexpectedly and loom large, but we can move through them with grace, peace, and even joy.
Knowing how much I enjoy lists, I decided to formulate one regarding the benefits of trials. It’s my small injection of hope as we collectively weather this storm.
25 Benefits of Trials:
- Trials alter our perspective.
- Trials refine our character.
- Trials teach us to release control.
- Trials offer us the opportunity to master fear.
- Trials help us appreciate our lives more fully.
- Trials help us to recognize life is sacred.
- Trials force us to slow down.
- Trials teach us perseverance.
- Trials encourage creative problem-solving.
- Trials stretch us beyond what we thought we could bear and we survive.
- Trials prepare and strengthen us for the next (often greater) trial.
- Trials help us grow empathy.
- Trials kindle our trust in God.
- Trials encourage us to help others.
- Trials open our eyes to the wonder and beauty all around us.
- Trials simplify life.
- Trials help us prioritize the truly important.
- Trials point out our character under pressure.
- Trials teach us to choose joy despite loss and pain.
- Trials help us seek out hope.
- Trials teach us to practice peace.
- Trials train us in patience while we wait for its end.
- Trials help us grow in wisdom.
- Trials usher in a new, often more joyous season.
- Trials help us to be truly thankful.
I hope my list offers a snippet of comfort as we navigate through this time.
One final note. Last November, my first devotional book Soul Focus – Trials was published. I couldn’t have known that it would be such a timely little book. I’ve recently heard from several readers how helpful it has been, especially at this time. If you’re in need of some encouragement or comfort as we collectively navigate this period of mutual difficulty, you might find my 31-day devotional helpful.
To learn more click here: Soul Focus- Trials
So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
~ 2 Corinthians 4:16-18